We want both our volunteers and visitors to be mutually enriched by their stay with us in our community. From before your arrival, and throughout your time with us, we will accompany you and provide liaison, to facilitate your integration with the local community, the project staff and the families and neighbours with whom you will be living. Our services are personalised and tailor-made to suit you, ensuring that when you volunteer in Bolivia with us, your experiences will be the most rewarding that they can be.
Please contact us for information about the costs of volunteering with Up Close Bolivia, as well as the other services which we can provide such as Spanish classes and reciprocal tourism. Details of what is included in our volunteer programme costs is below.
Volunteers live in shared volunteer accommodation in the grounds of our family home, with some of the best views in La Paz over the mountains and down in the valley of the flowers below. There are single and shared rooms – depending on availability. The houses are very comfortable and fully-equipped, with kitchen, shared living areas, hammocks, Wi-Fi, cable TV and DVD machines and access to the family washing machine. For short term volunteers, groups or during busy periods, we may also offer you accommodation in our cabin or tipis on the mountainside campsite, Colibri Camping and Eco-Lodge.
For more pictures of our accommodation, please visit our Facebook photo albums of volunteer houses.
What the basic volunteer fee includes:
- Accommodation in the volunteer house or in a tipi or cabin depending on availability (see above).
- Prior to your arrival we will communicate with you to discuss what your expectations and interests are.
- You will receive a personalized orientation session with our volunteer coordinator when you arrive and an information pack about La Paz with practical advice and tips from past volunteers covering issues from safety, health topics, cultural do’s and don’ts, travel in Bolivia and neighbouring countries etc.
- Meals and snacks when working at the nursery.
- Twenty-four-hour support for emergencies and regular meetings with our Volunteer Coordinator.
What the basic volunteer fee does not include:
- Spanish Language classes: We can set up Spanish classes with experienced teachers – the intensity and level of these classes will be set up to suit your needs.
- Travel and tourism in La Paz and beyond – however, we can help you organize several different trips and tours which will enable you to get the most out of your time in this beautiful country.
- Meals (lunch and snack are provided if you are working at the nursery – see above). There are many cheap local shops and restaurants nearby and you can budget about USD$5-7 / day for food.
- Local transport to and from projects – approx 50 cents/ 30 to USD$1-80 pence a day.
- Airport transfer: We can arrange a pick you up from the airport / bus terminal when you arrive approx. USD$20.